Destructor nonsense on dlang.org

Tove tove at fransson.se
Thu May 24 09:02:29 PDT 2012

On Thursday, 24 May 2012 at 15:43:57 UTC, Alex Rønne Petersen
wrote:

> We just need a dispose pattern whereby explicit dispose()
> instructs the GC to not finalize.
>

>> So I'm curious, what resource are we trying to free here?
>>

> None. I just came across it in the docs and found it completely
> insane.

Hmm... well, as long as it's optional behavior... as in my case I
actually want to go in the opposite direction... short-lived tool
which claims x resources and is run once for every file...

So in this case, resources should be "free:ed" _unless_ it's at
program termination... as then it just slows down the shutdown
procedure, the OS reclaim it faster anyway.