GitHub for Windows

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Thu May 24 14:09:56 PDT 2012

"Steven Schveighoffer" <schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:op.wetb8lg2eav7ka at steves-laptop...
> On Thu, 24 May 2012 06:29:25 -0400, Nick Sabalausky
> <SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com> wrote:
>
>> "Steven Schveighoffer" <schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:op.wer3hmsreav7ka at steves-laptop...
>
>>> Although I would replace Vista in your narrative with Win7.  Vista was a
>>> horrible abortion that should never have seen the light of day.
>>>

>> Maybe so, but if I were to upgrade from XP, I would be torn between Vista
>> and 7 because Vista at least lets me have my taskbar instead of a dock.
>>
>> And Vista doesn't pop-up tons of shit everytime the pointer gets near the
>> bottom of the screen. I'd never be able to get any work done if I had
>> (barely-distinguishable) mini-screenshots constantly popping up to
>> "help" me
>> all time like Win7 loves to do. They've killed Clippy, but his ghost
>> remains
>> as a poltergeist spreading thruout Windows (and IE8).
>
> Sorry, I will take this *any day* instead of:
>
> me: start-> control panel
> vista: FLASHING RED SIRENS! DANGER! DANGER! SOMETHING, WHICH I CANNOT
> DETERMINE AND AM ULTIMATELY SUSPICIOUS OF, STARTED CONTROL PANEL, DO YOU
> WANT TO ALLOW THIS?
> me: yes, dumb shit I JUST CLICKED ON IT!
> vista: Are you sure?  I mean some malicious software may have clicked on
> it for you the *split second* before you did!
> me: yes.
> vista: ok, proceed.
> me: click on printers in control panel
> vista: FLASHING RED SIRENS! DANGER! DANGER! SOMETHING OPENED THE PRINTER
> CONFIGURATION TOOL! and this time IT REALLY COULD BE MALICIOUS SOFTWARE
> (you know how they like to mischievously check your printer queue)!!!!!
> me: GRRRRRR.

First of all, there's a Vista machine I occasionally use, and it's
definitely *not* like that. You might just be remembering some really early
version of Vista.

Secondly, even if that were the case, that's (more-or-less) only when you go
into system settings (which may or may not be frequent). But the dock and
screenshot popups are *always*.

> at least the taskbar is a user preference (and I'm pretty sure you can
> revert that),

It isn't, and you can't.

I've checked all over, internet search, etc. If you're on Win7, you have the
Win7 dock, period.

There's a lot of internet knuckleheads that show you how *ahem* "turn it
off", but that's *only* for the skin - ie Aero - the *least* significant
aspect of Win7's Dock.

Even the 3rd party "Classic Shell" doesn't bring back the real taskbar.

As for the popup screenshots, you can *sort of* disable them, sometimes, but
apperently it's pretty flakey and doesn't even work for everyone:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/how-do-you-disable-the-taskbar-preview-window-pop/cf46aeaa-e4f1-4c39-a2d0-0824e174ebed

> Truth be told, I really like the win7 interface vs. the xp interface.
> Start menu searching is the best improvement ever.  I frequently use the
> little window previews that you hate.  But vista is frankly unusable.

I agree Vista's more or less unusable, but I feel the same way about Win7
(and yes, I have used Win7, and not just "played around with it in a
store").