Is the D community lacking development tools?

simendsjo simendsjo at gmail.com
Fri May 25 04:52:05 PDT 2012

On Fri, 25 May 2012 08:39:17 +0200, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> wrote:

> On 2012-05-24 21:16, Sean Kelly wrote:
>
>> I think a lot of this depends on the type of app.  Interactive
>> debugging can be impractical for server apps, but is often easy for
>> desktop apps.  Either way, I don't think anyone can say that debugger
>> support isn't important for D in general :-)
>
> I think a proper stack trace is more useful in most of the cases for me.
> That's basically the only thing I use a debugger for. D won't show a
> stack trace on a segmentation fault and similar.

No stack trace sucks...

     class C { int a; }
     C c;
     c.a = 1; // --- killed by signal 11
     assert(c); // nice stack trace

Couldn't dmd automatically add an assert(c) in debug mode before accessing
members?
I would really like to see (easy to use) non-null references. Non-null by
default would have been best.