GitHub for Windows

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Fri May 25 13:01:41 PDT 2012

"David Nadlinger" <see at klickverbot.at> wrote in message
news:kafgmioabokjwkfwmtob at forum.dlang.org...
> On Friday, 25 May 2012 at 14:42:52 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> Just because some people like it doesn't mean it was a sensible move to
>> force it on *everyone*.
>
> Just because a few people don't »like it« doesn't mean it wasn't a good
> move as everyone else now benefits from it.

Flipping what I said around doesn't work because I *never* said they
shouldn't have added it *at all*. I'm only saying they shouldn't have
removed the old.

>> All they have to do is just not remove the old way, leave it in as an
>> option. It's not as hard as some make it out to be. Problem solved,
>> everyone's pleased.
>
> Except for the users who'd actually dare to open the ginormous
> configuration dialogs, or the poor developers who'd have to maintain that
> mess. Just adding stuff to your product without ever removing something
> doesn't work.

I think you're severely exaggerating that matter.

>> And it's downright false to categorize this as a mere matter of "not
>> pleasing everybody". They're "not pleasing" nearly *half* of their
>> userbase.
>
> Come on, you just made that figure up. I bet most of the big UI changes go
> through extensive usability testing. And no, the relative market share of
> Windows XP compared to Windows 7 is _not_ an argument - it isn't like the
> only difference between the two OSes was the task bar.

Oh please, I think it's pretty clear I was referring here to Win7's overall
theme of abandoning "revert this" options rather than actually claiming
something as crazy as "the new taskbar *alone* is the reason for the XP/Win7
rift".

And you're right, even that still can't count for 100% of the people who are
sticking with XP. But I think there's plently reason to believe these sorts
of things account for a chunk of the XP userbase that's
more-than-sufficiently-large to not be dismissed as mere "can't please
everybody" as Steven put it.