Nimrod language

Araq rumpf_a at web.de
Mon May 28 00:56:34 PDT 2012

On Saturday, 26 May 2012 at 17:59:46 UTC, F i L wrote:
> Chad J wrote:
>> I think my only complaints were the bus-factor and the
>> apparent lack of array slices (the kind that doesn't cause
>> copying).  Still, very promising.
>
> It actually does have slices as a construct in the system lib
> (included by default).
>
> http://force7.de/nimrod/system.html#139
> http://force7.de/nimrod/system.html#606
>
> but I'm not sure how they stack up against D's in practice.

Nimrod's builtin slices copy. It's possible to implement more
D-like slices in Nimrod, but a bit tricky. However, if you don't
copy slicing a large string (or array) keeps the whole string in
memory so it's questionable whether it's a good idea.

D implements slices as (ptr, length) pairs which causes issues
for a GC as that invites lots of interior pointers and GCs tend
to have problems with those, causing at least some overhead in
the GC/memory system.