synchronized (this[.classinfo]) in druntime and phobos

foobar foo at bar.com
Thu May 31 02:12:12 PDT 2012

On Thursday, 31 May 2012 at 08:01:14 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 5/30/12 11:47 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> On 2012-05-30 21:10, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>
>>> I see how these can be annoying, but they're not the result
>>> of us not
>>> designing things. We designed things best we could.
>>
>> I would say it's not good enough. The whole approach of
>> designing the
>> language is wrong.
>
> I understand how frustrating this is. In fact even the way you
> consider "good" is not nearly good enough. What we need is
> really more formalization of the language design, something
> that we're sorely missing. I am sometimes frustrated out of my
> mind at the lack of rigor and discipline in the process. On the
> other hand, we march with the troops we have.
>

> Andrei

Please no. This is how C++ is designed and we all know how fucked
up that is.

Writing a [rigorous] spec is almost always incorrect since
requirements change and unforeseen things come about. Jacob's
post illustrates this when the spec is written [in TDPL] before
implementing, testing and integrating it.

By making a rigorous spec you exacerbate the problem - it takes
more time to write such a spec thus making the time-frame for
unforeseen changes larger.