Is the address-of operator (&) really needed?

Sandeep Datta datta.sandeep at gmail.com
Thu May 31 02:36:47 PDT 2012

Hi,

I was going through some sample code online and came across the
following code fragment...

	listenHttp(settings, &handleRequest); //Where handleRequest is a
function

My question to you is (as the title says) is the address-of
operator (&) really needed here? Wouldn't it be better to
consider handleRequest to be a reference to the actual function?
I think this will make the system consistent with the way
variables work in D. IMO this will bring functions/delegates
closer to being first class objects in D.

What do you think?

Regards,
Sandeep Datta.