synchronized (this[.classinfo]) in druntime and phobos

foobar foo at bar.com
Thu May 31 10:39:44 PDT 2012

On Thursday, 31 May 2012 at 11:24:56 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> On Wed, 30 May 2012 17:45:32 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu
>
>> On 5/30/12 1:31 PM, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

>>> This is not what we are talking about.
>>
>> Oh yes it is. "Expose the mutex" means "make the two mutex
>> primitive operations lock() and unlock() freely usable against
>> the mutex object".
>
> Stop that!  You are blatantly arguing minutia when you should
> be trying to understand what we are saying!  This is like
> dealing with a stubborn child.
[snip]
> -Steve

This reminds me one of my favorite Zen stories:

Nan-in, a Japanese master during the Meiji era (1868-1912),
received a university professor who came to inquire about Zen.

Nan-in served tea. He poured his visitor's cup full, and then
kept on pouring.

The professor watched the overflow until he no longer could
restrain himself. "It is overfull. No more will go in!"

"Like this cup," Nan-in said, "you are full of your own opinions
and speculations. How can I show you Zen unless you first empty
your cup?"