A little Py Vs C++

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Nov 1 12:46:10 PDT 2012

On Thu, Nov 01, 2012 at 08:19:56PM +0100, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> On Thursday, 1 November 2012 at 18:06:21 UTC, Peter Alexander wrote:
[...]
> >A more interesting comment is this one:
> >
> >"But the real problem here is that in order to achieve even that,
> >the complexity and amount of concepts you have to deal with in
> >C++11 is mind boggling."
> >
> >The same is true in D. Well-written D code often does look rather
> >elegant, but the amount of understanding needed to write beautiful
> >D code is staggering.
>
> I have to agree having to deal with lots of concepts.

I don't see it as a problem, unless one is a programmer of the drone
persuasion. Many of D's concepts are liberatingly powerful, and very
potent in combination.

> On the other hand, except for the programming drones, most D
> concepts are also available in most mainstream languages.
[...]

If we want to minimize the number of concepts, we should program using
Lambda calculus. ;-) We already have lambda-syntax for delegates, after
all. Now just restrict all statements to only lambda expressions, get
rid of difficult concepts like arithmetic operators, variables and
imperative programming, and we have a winner on our hands.

Seriously, though, imagining that one can program effectively without
learning new concepts is a preposterous proposition to me. I just don't
understand the unwillingness to learn.

Computers shouldn't beep through the keyhole.