D vs C++11

"Erèbe" erebe at erebe.eu
Fri Nov 2 10:03:37 PDT 2012

Hello student here,

I have started to learn D a few months ago with Andrei's book (I
really liked arguments about design decisions), but as the same
time I was learning new features of C++11, and now I'm really
confused. (As learning projects, I've done an IRC Bot in D and an
IPv6 stack in C++11)

D is a great language and introduce a lot of features I really
like (range, property, UFCS, great metaprogramming, ...) but
C++11 and the new standard librairy are well supported now.

I have some solid experience with C++, so I know how cumbersome
C++ could be (C++11 and universal reference ?), but D has a lot
of features too and (as C++) a slow learning curve.

I would like to konw the point of view of the community about
C++11 in regard of D ? Is the gap between D and C++11 is getting
thinner ? Do you think D will keep attracting people while at the
same time C++11 has more support (debugger, IDE, Librairies,
Documentation) ?