D vs C++11

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Fri Nov 2 12:25:48 PDT 2012

Jacob Carlborg:

> I would say that D is fairly scalable in it's set of features.
> You can (mostly) program in D as you would in, say, Java

D offers most features present in Java, but the relative
efficiency of some operations is not the same. HotSpot
de-virtualizes, unroll run-time-bound loops, and most importantly
has an efficient generational GC (and other newer GCs like G1)
that changes significantly the efficiency of allocations and
memory releases. The result is that if you program in D creating
lot of short lived garbage as you do in Java, you will see a
low(er) performance. So in D it's better to allocate in-place
with structs where possible.

> I would absolutely say that the gap is getting thinner. I would
> mostly say that with C++11 C++ has finally started to catch up
> with D and the rest of the world.

C++ is a moving target :-)
http://root.cern.ch/drupal/content/c14

Bye,