D vs C++11

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Nov 2 13:31:05 PDT 2012

On Friday, November 02, 2012 21:12:02 so wrote:
> On Friday, 2 November 2012 at 18:34:13 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> > I would absolutely say that the gap is getting thinner. I would
> > mostly say that with C++11 C++ has finally started to catch up
> > with D and the rest of the world.
>
> Serious? It doesn't even have a "static if".

C++11 definitely makes the gap thinner than it was with C++98/03. That doesn't
mean that the gap isn't there, and with pretty much anything involving
conditional compilation, D is way, way ahead of C++11. C++ templates are
virtually unusable in comparison to D templates. There's no reason that C++
couldn't gain those abilities, but even with C++11, it still isn't there yet
(though at least they finally have variadic templates).

That said, there _are_ some cool things in C++11 that we don't have (e.g.
async is pretty cool, and while we have some cool threading stuff, we don't
have anything quite like it yet). So, we can still learn from C++ even if we
do better than they do in general.

- Jonathan M Davis