A little Py Vs C++

Jens Mueller jens.k.mueller at gmx.de
Fri Nov 2 15:28:24 PDT 2012

Walter Bright wrote:
> On 11/2/2012 2:01 AM, Jens Mueller wrote:
> > I had the same thought when reading this. Very disappointing. An issue
> > with zero votes is fixed instead of more important ones.
>
> It's a very fair question.
>
> Manu works for Remedy Games, a developer of hit PC games, such as
> Max Payne and Alan Wake. He champions a team that is investigating
> committing to D for a major new game. This would be a huge design
> win for D, and an enormous boost for D. I view the most effective
> use of my time at the moment is to ensure that they can bet on D and
> win. Remedy's use of D for a high profile product will prove that D
> is ready and able for the big time, and that others can develop
> using D with confidence.
>
> Nearly all of what he needs the D community needs anyway, such as
> the big push for Win64 support and the SIMD support (more on that in
> another post).

Now I can understand why you made these decisions. It makes sense to me.
But I'd like to know which direction the ship is sailing.
The current rationale is to proof that D is ready for prime time. Though
I fear that some issues in the bug tracker may give a bad impression.
But in general the decision process should be as open and transparent as
possible. In Jacob's words: We need a road map.

Jens