D vs C++11

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Fri Nov 2 16:44:12 PDT 2012

On 11/03/2012 12:05 AM, Rob T wrote:
> With C++, you learn to accept all the crap and not complain about it so much.

Well, it's not so much you learn to accept all the crap as, it's a sufficiently
standard tool and so universally adopted, that accepting the crap is often a
worthwhile trade for the stuff you get in return (interoperability, range of
developers out there who can help you, number of useful libraries ...).

But in my case it's definitely a resigned rather than eager compromise.

I'm currently working on a simulation involving a bipartite graph, which is
proving quite a bit of fun, but in the back of my head right now is a little
voice going, "Hey, I bet at some point you're going to need one of the
general-purpose graph libraries out there and I bet that's going to make it more
convenient to do this in C++."  And another voice going "Arrgh no God please
don't make me."

Now that said, the question that started this thread seems an apt one and is one
I'd been wondering about myself.  I don't have the expertise to write it
personally, but I'd be really happy to see an in-depth article comparing C++11
and D, not a paean to one or the other, but a careful description of the
advantages and disadvantages of each (preferably supported by code examples).