D vs C++11

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sat Nov 3 00:19:15 PDT 2012

On Friday, 2 November 2012 at 23:08:00 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
> On 11/02/2012 10:53 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 11/2/2012 2:33 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>>> I said the gap is getting thinner, not that is gone. It got
>>> foreach,
>>> some form
>>> of CTFE, static assert, lambda to mention a few new features.
>>

>> No ranges. No purity. No immutability. No modules. No dynamic
>> closures.
>> No mixins. Little CTFE. No slicing. No delegates. No shared.
>> No template
>> symbolic arguments. No template string arguments. No alias
>> this.
>
> No static if. Limited forward references. No real function
> local aggregate types. No real nested classes. No local
> template instantiation. No nested functions. No value range
> propagation for implicit conversions. No built-in string
> support. No built-in unicode support. No template guards. No
> inout. No default-initialization. No return type deduction for
> non-lambdas. No generic lambdas. No type deduction for lambda
> parameter types. No super. Less powerful typeof that is called
> decltype. No is-expressions. No compile-time reflection. No
> thread-local by default. No UFCS. No tuple/sequence types. No
> sequence auto-expansion. No sane built-in array types. No tuple
> slicing. No .init/.min/.max/etc. No kind of static foreach. No
> new scopes introduced in case statements. No block statements
> in a for-loop initializer. No optional parentheses on function
> calls. No implicit reference types. No ^^ operator. No binary !
> operator. No built-in complex number types. Less comparison
> operators. None of eg. bearophile's enhancement requests.
>
> ... in no particular order, afaik, and to name a few. :o)

What I have learned in all my years of enterprise development is
that all those features have zero value for business.

Languages get adopted because of business value, not due to the
coolness of their feature set, how boring it may sell.

If we want to sell D to companies using C++ for years, slowly
migrating to JVM, .NET worlds, or just updating their codebases
to C++11, then we need to sell D's business value not feature
lists.

--
Paulo