D vs C++11

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Sat Nov 3 00:35:05 PDT 2012

On 11/3/2012 12:19 AM, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> On Friday, 2 November 2012 at 23:08:00 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
>
> What I have learned in all my years of enterprise development is that all those features have zero value for business.
>
> Languages get adopted because of business value, not due to the coolness of their feature set, how boring it may sell.
>
> If we want to sell D to companies using C++ for years, slowly migrating to JVM, .NET worlds, or just updating their
> codebases to C++11, then we need to sell D's business value not feature lists.
>
> --
> Paulo

In my experience (which admittedly is limited to several companies that are all technology companies, which introduces
an specific bias) it's the engineers which ultimately define the languages used.  Eventually after enough people want to
use <foo>, it gets used.  It has little to do with business value or rational logic and more to do with determination
and momentum.