D vs C++11

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sat Nov 3 06:17:45 PDT 2012

Erèbe:

> Is there a point in the D roadmap where we will see "Okay, D
> has enough features, let add some support to the language now"
> ? Because in my opinion D is for now just a language, a awesome
> one yes, but not yet a good environnement for developper.

You are missing some essential points. First of all features are
not just "done": they have corner cases to be fixed, details to
be improved, they need to be fully implemented, they need to
become efficient, bugs need to be removed, new needs ask for new
parts, there are new CPUs to support, new OSes, new vector
extensions added to CPUs, and so on. So in the end the work for
the core language developers never ends. Putting such developers
at work on tools is not a good idea, because then no one does the
essential work on the core language and they will often be
newbies regarding tools. So it becomes a lose-lose situation. You
can't stop the development of the core language to develop tools,
it causes a disaster. Usually you have to build a language good
enough that it attracts other people, that are willing to work on
tools and external modules :-)

Bye,
bearophile