D vs C++11

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat Nov 3 09:08:16 PDT 2012

On Sat, Nov 03, 2012 at 09:02:58AM -0500, 1100110 wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Nov 2012 07:46:17 -0500, Erèbe <erebe at erebe.eu> wrote:
[...]
> >Nearly no support in vim (my editor of choice), a Plugin for
> >eclipse wich force you to stick with an older version, a Visual
> >studio plugin where you need to buy a liscence in order to have
> >the IDE. The only viable choice for me is the plugin for
> >monodevelop which is really great but no debugger (assert is
> >enough for now).
[...]
> Nearly no support in Vim?  Are you joking?  What does Vim not
> support for D that you want it to?
[...]

Yeah I use vim too, and I don't see any problem. But then again, maybe
he's looking for syntax highlighting or that kind of stuff which I don't
use.

But still. Oleg has a point -- IDE support and other such things need to
be done by other people than the core developers, who need to focus on
honing the language.

I find it strange that every so often people clamor for IDE support,
syntax highlighting, debugger support, etc., yet nobody seems to be
willing to contribute actual code. Don't like something about the
current state of D development tools? Well then do something about it.
The source code is there for a reason, and it's not just to make people
feel all warm and fuzzy inside because now we can label ourselves "open
source".

Klein bottle for rent ... inquire within. -- Stephen Mulraney