D vs C++11

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat Nov 3 16:12:44 PDT 2012

On Sat, Nov 03, 2012 at 11:37:15PM +0100, "Erèbe" wrote:
[...]
> On Saturday, 3 November 2012 at 16:06:11 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> >Yeah I use vim too, and I don't see any problem. But then again,
> >maybe he's looking for syntax highlighting or that kind of stuff
> >which I don't
> >use.
>
> I only use IDE at the beginning (for a new language or librairy)
> because I found autocompletion helpful, after that I switch back to
> vim.

So what's missing about D support in vim?

> >But still. Oleg has a point -- IDE support and other such things need
> >to be done by other people than the core developers, who need to
> >focus on honing the language.
> >
> >I find it strange that every so often people clamor for IDE support,
> >syntax highlighting, debugger support, etc., yet nobody seems to be
> >willing to contribute actual code. Don't like something about the
> >current state of D development tools? Well then do something about
> >it.  The source code is there for a reason, and it's not just to make
> >people feel all warm and fuzzy inside because now we can label
> >ourselves "open source".
[...]
> I was expecting the argument of "Not happy ? Do it yourself !". I
> shall be glad to do it by myself, but I don't have the knowledge (of
> the language, of the codebase) yet, and in regards with my studies
> and the time I can dedicate to my side-projects, I will not be
> started before 6 months or more.

What I said wasn't directed at you specifically. I was just saying that
the state of IDE support, etc., are the way they are, because so far few
have stepped up to do something about it. We've had a lot of people
complain about lack of IDE support, debugger, etc., but we haven't had
many volunteers to actually do the work, so there's really not much that
can be done about it. For one thing, I only use vim with gdb and
command-line tools, so I wouldn't even know where to begin in terms of
adding/improving IDE support for D. I don't even use syntax highlighting
or any of that stuff.

> My point is, there may are a lot of people with that knowledge in
> the community, and a little impulsion from the root should be
> helpful, because modern support will make D shine even brighter.

We *have* had repeated requests for this stuff, and I'm sure whoever has
that knowledge in this community have taken heed, but apparently that
hasn't been enough. So maybe what we really need is somebody to take the
initiative to be the first to make it all happen, I guess?

> I will work toward this direction but it will take me time.

Best of luck to you, then! Maybe you can be the first one to make it
happen.

A bend in the road is not the end of the road unless you fail to make the turn. -- Brian White