D vs C++11

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Nov 3 17:45:49 PDT 2012

On Saturday, November 03, 2012 13:46:17 Erèbe wrote:
> Nearly no support in vim (my editor of choice)

What does vim do for D that it doesn't do for C/C++? Some plugins that you can
use for C/C++ probably won't work for D, but vim itself should support D just
as well as C/C++. vim is a power user level editor, not an IDE, so most of the
types of features that really require understanding the language wouldn't be
in vim anyway.

> Support should not be a top priority for the D-core now that the
> language is well featured ? Something coherent with what already
> exist (dmd) ?

The folks who work on the compiler and libraries are unlikely to be the same
folks working on tools for D. Stuff that requires compiler support does get
done by the compiler folks (e.g. providing debug symbols that gdb can use),
but IDE stuff? That's not going to be done by the people working on the core
language. It's generally a completely different set of people who end up
working on that sort of stuff, and even without adding lots of new features to
the language, there's still a lot for the core developers to be working on in
terms of bug fixing or fleshing out the standard library. And D isn't adding
features left and right. In fact, it's mostly feature frozen. So, that long
list of features says nothing about the focus of the D community at this point
as far as work goes. That just means that lots of work was done in the past.

The main focuses of the compiler folks at this point are compiler features
which will help make D more fully usable (e.g. adding 64-bit support to
Windows) and bug fixes. We're not adding much in the way of features to the
language at all at this point. So, their focus is likely where it should be,
aside perhaps from which bug in particular gets fixed first.

If you want better tools beyond the compiler, then other people need to write
them. And other people _do_ write them. We have VisualD, Mono-D, etc. Maybe
there aren't enough people working on that sort of thing, but work is
definitely being done there.

But if you're looking for something like a fully-fledged IDE for D written
completely in D, then you're going to have a very long time to wait, because
that's the sort of thing that takes years and lots of people to write. And
given that all there is that needs to be done for D, that's arguably a very
poor use of time anyway, because solid plugins for IDEs like Ecilpse and
Monodevelop will do the job just fine for the most part and require far less
effort. Maybe we'll get it someday, but no time soon.

And other people are putting time and effort into other types of tools to
improve D from the standpoint of tools (e.g. some work has been done on
getting a package management tool for D similar to what some other languages
have). So, work _is_ being done. It just takes time, and we arguably don't
have enough people much of anywhere in the various areas of D development. So,
pretty much everything is slower than we might like it to be. But it _is_
improving, and work is still getting done.

- Jonathan M Davis