Transience of .front in input vs. forward ranges

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 09:49:58 PST 2012

11/4/2012 9:02 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu пишет:
> On 11/4/12 11:36 AM, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
>>
>> The fact that algorithm doesn't save iteration state != it counts on
>> transient .front.
>
> I didn't claim that. My strongest claim was:
> input-range-having-front-with-mutable-indirection IMPLIES
> no-transience-guarantee.

Indeed, but it wasn't your claim that I meant. It's fine with me but
it's hardly moving us forward.

I was investigating your simplified proposal and its consequences for
e.g. std.array.array. And apparently forgot to make the central point.

I was mostly going by:

 > The simpler way would be to simply state that input ranges can't
guarantee the persistence of .front after calling .popFront.

and

 >The algorithms that need to worry about .front's transience are only
the ones that work with input ranges (as opposed to forward ranges or
stronger).

And conclude that applying this simple rule to std.array.array* means it
has to assume non-transient elements and somehow copy/dup'em. Problem is
we don't have generic function to make 100% guaranteed unaliased copy
(it could omit doing any work on non-aliased objects).

Also that it misses forward ranges that have aliased .front, assuming
they are non-transient.

*It has to work with input ranges as I noted below.

--
Dmitry Olshansky