Transience of .front in input vs. forward ranges

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Mon Nov 5 17:40:54 PST 2012

On 11/6/12 2:44 AM, deadalnix wrote:
> To be honest, my biggest fear isn't that this proposal is rejected, but
> that we fallback as default on the input range = transient / forward
> range = non transient scheme, because we fail to come up with something
> better, or that the status quo is choosen (as both seems to me worse
> than the .transient proposal).

I think the simplification of input range = transient and forward range
= not transient has a lot going for it. It is simple, easy to explain
and understand, and builds on simple real-life examples (buffered input
and singly-linked lists). Clearly adding a new notion to the soup makes
for more expressiveness, but it also makes for more complexity and
subtlety in support for niche ranges. This should not be neglected.

Andrei