[ ArgumentList ] vs. @( ArgumentList )

Jakob Ovrum jakobovrum at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 21:53:34 PST 2012

On Tuesday, 6 November 2012 at 19:18:39 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> No hitting below the belt! Let the games begin!

I think that [] is sufficiently distinct from built-in
attributes, unlike @(), but sadly, there's no nice way to parse
it at statement scope. There are in fact a couple of ambiguous
cases in the parser already; let's not introduce any more, lest
we lose the ability to call D easy to parse.

@(foo) looks too similar to built-in attributes. And let's face
it; these annotations are actually quite different (I too prefer
the more accurate name, 'annotations') from built-in attributes,
the former cannot replace the latter any time soon.

I want to hear what people think about [] at declaration scope
and @[] at statement scope. Too complicated to remember?