deprecate deprecated?

monarch_dodra monarchdodra at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 23:03:54 PST 2012

On Tuesday, 6 November 2012 at 23:56:13 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> I know there's been some long term unhappiness about the
> deprecated attribute - it's all-or-nothing approach, poor
> messages, etc. Each change in it changes the language and the
> compiler.

I *just* had a conversation about this, but there *needs* to be a
way to to tell the compiler: "don't use deprecated stuff": If it
merely issues a warning, then you'll end up calling deprecated
code, because traits will answer positively to something that is
actually deprecated:

For example if a range has "deprecated opIndex", and you try a
search on that range, the implementation will take the RA road...

I had proposed a "three state -d":
-- : Deprecated stuff just can't be used
-d : You can use deprecated stuff, but you get no warning
-dw : You can use deprecated stuff, and are served with a warning