Please enable wiki and issues at github

Thomas Koch thomas at koch.ro
Tue Nov 6 23:45:17 PST 2012

Hi,

there has been no objection in this thread[1], that the current D wiki is a
burden and should be replaced. The only two proposals were the wiki engine
build inside github (gollum[2], free software) and a Mediawiki instance like
Haskell.

[1] http://forum.dlang.org/thread/k6jak1$quh$1@digitalmars.com
[2] https://github.com/github/gollum

I propose to go forward with the gollum proposal and enable the wiki
functionality in the d-programming-language.org github project[3]. In
addition it might also be a good idea to enable issues in the same project
to track website and wiki related issues.

[3] https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/d-programming-language.org

Github is a proprietary, non-free, cloud service. But it allows you to
export all your data. There's the debian package github-backup[5] that one
can run by cron to clone all data (wiki, issues) related to a github
project.

http://packages.qa.debian.org/g/github-backup.html

Afterwards I'd kindly ask the current wiki4d[5] maintainer Helmut Leitner to
add a static notice to all wiki4d pages pointing to the new wiki.

[5] http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d

Do you agree?

Regards, Thomas Koch