What's C's biggest mistake?

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Thu Nov 8 11:23:20 PST 2012

On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 19:45:31 +0100
"Kagamin" <spam at here.lot> wrote:

> On Thursday, 8 November 2012 at 09:38:28 UTC, renoX wrote:
> > I agree with your previous point but your type declaration
> > syntax is still awful IMHO declaring int[Y][X] and then using
> > [x][y]..
> > I don't like reading type declaration right-to-left and then
> > normal code left-to-right..
>
> Well, then read type declarations left-to-right. It's the
> strangest decision in design of golang to reverse type
> declarations. I always read byte[] as `byte array`, not `an array
> of bytes`.

Doing "int[y][x] ... foo[x][y]" is an odd reversal. But Issue 9's
"[x][y]int" *also* feels very backwards to me (though perhaps I'd get
used to it?). Either way though, they still both beat the hell out of
C/C++'s seemingly random arrangement which can't be read left-to-right
*or* right-to-left. So I'm happy either way :)