Const ref and rvalues again...

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 12:15:46 PST 2012

11/8/2012 11:30 PM, martin пишет:
> On Thursday, 8 November 2012 at 18:28:44 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
>> What's wrong with going this route:
>>
>> void blah(auto ref X stuff){
>> ...lots of code...
>> }
>>
>> is magically expanded to:
>>
>> void blah(ref X stuff){
>> ...that code..
>> }
>>
>> and
>>
>> void blah(X stuff){
>>     .blah(stuff); //now here stuff is L-value so use the ref version
>> }
>>
>> Yeah, it looks _almost_ like a template now. But unlike with a
>> template we can assume it's 2 overloads _always_. External fucntion
>> issue is then solved by treating it as exactly these 2 overloads (one
>> trampoline, one real). Basically it becomes one-line declaration of 2
>> functions.
>>
>> Given that temporaries are moved anyway the speed should be fine and
>> there is as much bloat as you'd do by hand.
>>
>> Also hopefully inliner can be counted on to do its thing in this
>> simple case.
>
> That second overload for rvalues would be a shortcut to save the lvalue
> declarations at each call site - and it really doesn't matter if the
> compiler magically added the lvalue declarations before each call or if
> it magically added the rvalue overload (assuming all calls are inlined).

The scope. It's all about getting the correct scope, destructor call and
you know, the works. Preferably it can inject it inside temporary scope.

Anticipating bugs in the implementation of this feature let me warn that
re-writing this:
... code here ...
auto  r = foo(SomeResource(x, y, ..)); //foo is auto ref
... code here ...

Should not change semantics e.g. imagine the resource is a lock, we'd
better unlock it sooner. That is call destructor right after foo
returns. So we need {} around the call. But this doesn't work as it
traps 'r':

{
auto someRef = SomeResource(x, y, ..);
auto r  = foo(someRef);
}

So it's rather something like this:

typeof(foo(...)) r = void;
{
someRef = SomeResource(x, y, ..);
r = foo(someRef); // should in fact construct in place not assign
}

I suspect this is hackable to be more clean inside of the compiler but
not in terms of a re-write.

> But it would create a problem if there already was an explicit 'void
> blah(X)' overload in addition to 'void blah(auto ref X)' (not making
> much sense obviously, but this would be something the compiler needed to
> handle somehow).

Aye. But even then there is an ambiguity if there is one version of
function with ref T / T and one with auto ref T.

> What this 'auto ref' approach (both as currently implemented for
> templates and proposed here for non-templated functions) lacks is the
> vital distinction between const and mutable parameters.
>
> For the much more common const ref parameters, I repeatedly tried to
> explain why I'm absolutely convinced that we don't need another keyword
> and that 'in/const ref' is sufficient, safe, logical and intuitive
> (coupled with the overload rule that pass-by-value (moving) is preferred
> for rvalues). Please prove me wrong.

I'd rather restrict it to 'auto ref' thingie. Though 'in auto ref'
sounds outright silly.
Simply put const ref implies that callee can save a pointer to it
somewhere (it's l-value). The same risk is with 'auto ref' but at least
there an explicitly written 'disclaimer' by the author of accepting
temporary stuff.

In the ideal world name 'auto ref' would be shorter, logical and more to
the point but we have what we have.

> For the less common mutable ref parameters, I also repeatedly tried to
> explain why I find it dangerous/unsafe to allow rvalues to be bound to
> mutable ref parameters. But if there are enough people wanting that, I'd
> have no problem with an 'auto ref' approach for it (only for mutable
> parameters!). That may actually be a good compromise, what do you guys
> think? :)

I think that function plucked with auto ref is a enough indication that
author is fine with passing to it mutable r-values and not seeing
changes outside and related blah-blah. In most (all?) of cases it means
that parameter is too big to be passed by copy so rather it takes it by ref.
Also certain stuff can't be properly bitwise const because of C-calls
and what not. Logical const is the correct term but in the D world it's
simply mutable.

> 'auto ref T' for templates expands to 'ref T' (lvalues) and 'T'
> (rvalues), duplicating the whole function and providing best performance
> - no pointer/reference indirection for rvalues in contrast to 'auto ref
> T' (proposed above) for non-templates, otherwise the concept would be
> exactly the same. But it's only for mutable parameters.

I'd say that even for templates the speed argument is mostly defeated by
the bloat argument. But that's probably only me.

--
Dmitry Olshansky