Pyd thread

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Fri Nov 9 23:33:12 PST 2012

On Fri, 2012-11-09 at 16:31 -0800, Ellery Newcomer wrote:
[…]
> He's been writing python extensions in C; he *should* be happy :)

It is true that most people just use Cython these days.

Or they are using NumPy, Numba, etc.

> btw, what's the status on druntime support for shared libraries? Pyd is
> kind of walking on thin ice until this is straightened out.

This and another problem is why I have hesitated mentioning D as a tool
for writing CPython extensions in my Python workshops: the extensions
are CPython specific and will not work with PyPy (or Jython but that is
a whole other set of issues).

What is guaranteed now is that the ctypes package works in CPython and
PyPy and would seem to be the right "API" for people interested in using
Python with D.  If the ctypes overhead is significant to the execution
then writing a native code extension is probably the wrong solution to
the problem?

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk