[OT] Ubuntu 12.10 guest in VirtualBox completely broken

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at ubuntu.com
Sat Nov 10 10:34:59 PST 2012

On 10 November 2012 11:30, Alix Pexton <alix.DOT.pexton at gmail.dot.com> wrote:
> On 10/11/2012 10:14, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>>
>> I just wanted you all to know that running Ubuntu 12.10 as a guest in
>> VirtualBox is completely broken. I update by guest system from 12.04 to
>> 12.10 and it's so slow it's not usable. This is a known issue:
>>
>> https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/11107
>>
>> That issue contains a pre-release of VirtualBox, I tried that on Mac OS
>> X and it broken the Ubuntu guest even more. No title bar on the windows
>> or any window frame actually.
>>

> What a coincidence, I just installed VirtualBox and was looking for advice
> on what distro of linux to install...
>
> All I want to be able to do with my VM is be able to build GDC for my RasPi
> (via all the hoops that are necessary to get cross compilation working), not
> bothered about any GUI stuff or bells/whistles, suggestions for a good
> distro to go with are welcome!
>
> A...

You don't necessarily need a cross compiler to do the job. Set-up a
raspbian chroot instead!

There's some rough instructions here.

http://superpiadventures.wordpress.com/2012/07/16/development-environment/

You are also able to debug programs through qemu, though there's a
hurdle you have to jump through.

http://tinkering-is-fun.blogspot.co.uk/2009/12/debugging-non-native-programs-with-qemu.html

Regards,
Iain.