Binary compatibility on Linux

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Sat Nov 10 12:18:45 PST 2012

On 2012-11-10 20:17, Robert wrote:
> I would say supporting distributions which are no longer supported by
> the distributions itself is of very little value. So for Ubuntu the last
> still supported LTS version should be old enough.
>
> I think virtually nobody is using anything older, especially not 06.XX!
> And if they do, then they will have a whole bunch of other problems than
> not being able to use your program.

I just picked the 6.x version to be sure it was compatible with
everything else.

You say the latest LTS, but the LTS are supported for five years. Don't
they release new LTS more often than that? According to this
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS They release a new LTS every two years and
they're supported for five years.

If I pick Ubuntu 12.04, which is the latest LTS, they still support
10.04 until 2013.

--
/Jacob Carlborg