Binary compatibility on Linux

Thomas Koch thomas at koch.ro
Sun Nov 11 01:30:02 PST 2012

Jacob Carlborg wrote:

> What's the best way to achieve binary compatibility on Linux? For
> example, if I compile an application on, say Ubuntu 12.04, it will most
> likely not run on any older versions of Ubuntu but it will run on future
> versions.

The best way is to get your software in the official debian archive. There
are infrastructure and established workflows to recompile packages for each
Debian version.
The backports archive contains newer versions of a package for the current
stable Debian release.

Is the software in question free software? It's not that hard to get
software in Debian. Have a look at
http://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamGuide

Regards, Thomas Koch