[OT] Ubuntu 12.10 guest in VirtualBox completely broken

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at ubuntu.com
Sun Nov 11 03:22:43 PST 2012

On 11 November 2012 10:43, Alix Pexton <alix.DOT.pexton at gmail.dot.com> wrote:

>> You don't necessarily need a cross compiler to do the job. Set-up a
>> raspbian chroot instead!
>>
>> There's some rough instructions here.
>>
>> http://superpiadventures.wordpress.com/2012/07/16/development-environment/
>>

>> You are also able to debug programs through qemu, though there's a
>> hurdle you have to jump through.
>>

>> http://tinkering-is-fun.blogspot.co.uk/2009/12/debugging-non-native-programs-with-qemu.html
>>

>> Regards,
>> Iain.
>>

> The comments on the first article say that using qemu is as slow as
> compiling on the RasPi, and recommend using the cross-compiler instead.

Your milage may vary depending on what hardware you have.   Personally
I find it 3-4 times quicker to build (considering it takes about 24+
hours to built gdc on a RasPi device).

> I followed the instructs anyway, and all seemed to go well, but they just
> stop without detailing how to actually compile anything, or explaining what
> has been done ><
>
> A...

What's been done is a chroot system has been set-up with ARM binaries,
instead of i386 or x86_64.  qemu-debootstrap installs an executable
qemu-arm-static inside this chroot, so when you try to run any ARM
binaries, qemu kicks in and acts as an emulator.

To compile, simply following the same instructions as per the gdc
wiki.   apt-get install all build deps, retrieve source, ./configure
and make.  :-)

--
Iain Buclaw

*(p < e ? p++ : p) = (c & 0x0f) + '0';