Binary compatibility on Linux

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Sun Nov 11 23:22:04 PST 2012

On 2012-11-11 23:30, 1100110 wrote:

> I've used alien a fair number of times, and its usually "just worked."
> Here is an FAQ:
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-compat.en.html
> That link provides a lot of info.
>
> Honestly, unless Ubuntu has done something really weird, Debian should
> be just as compatible with non-Debian distros as Ubuntu is.  Give me a
> solid example of what you mean and I'll take a closer look.

I'm not saying it's incompatible, I'm asking :) BTW, I actually don't
know how compatible Ubuntu either.

> Ubuntu has a Debian-for-Ubuntu-Devs page.
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Debian/ForUbuntuDevelopers
> That should explain something at least.

I guess I'll to take a look at that page.

> How does Debian Stable compare to Ubuntu 8.04(Hardy Heron) LTS which
> loses support in April?
> I'm not entirely sure.  http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/
> http://packages.debian.org/stable/

As I understand it Debian is a more stable distribution and Ubuntu is a
faster moving target. The question is how much faster. Would Ubuntu LTS
be more ahead of compared to the latest stable Debian.

--
/Jacob Carlborg