I'm back

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Mon Nov 12 12:28:14 PST 2012

On 11/12/12 11:45 AM, deadalnix wrote:
> Le 12/11/2012 20:42, Andrei Alexandrescu a écrit :
>> Hi all,
>>

>> I'm back from a few long trips during which I got behind reading this
>> group. I decided to mark everything as read and restart anew. If there
>> are any topics that you believe have "extinguished" but need my
>> attention, I'd be indebted if you mentioned them to me via private email
>> or by replying to this.
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Andrei
>
> Topic on UDA obviously.

Thanks! I did follow that and in brief my opinion is:

* The feature looks good

* The choice of syntax is mostly motivated by the question: do we want
to integrate the existing "@"-attributes with the user-defined ones? If
so, the choice of the @ syntax is a consequence.

* I saw very little focus for attribute testing, i.e. "does symbol xyz
have attribute abc"? I don't think we should relegate that to a __traits.

* The execution of that feature (merging in the trunk along with a bunch
of unrelated work) was extremely poor. We need to acquire a sense of
urgency about fixing our process, lest this mom-and-pop-shop style of
getting work done will end up alienating our user base.

> Topic on range transience probably, as it is
> almost concluded.

I'm leaning toward doing nothing about this.

Andrei