I'm back

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Nov 12 14:09:01 PST 2012

Andrei Alexandrescu:

Welcome back.

> If there are any topics that you believe have "extinguished"
> but need my attention, I'd be indebted if you mentioned them to
> me via private email or by replying to this.

There are some threads I have opened, or where I have written
some posts in:

In this thread
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/50A0EEA4.7010706@webdrake.net

Joseph Rushton Wakeling suggests code like this to compile:

struct Foo(_T) {
     alias _T T;
}
void bar(FooT)(FooT foo, FooT.T x) {
}
void main() {
     Foo!int foo;
     bar(foo, 1); // line 8
}

Here I have suggested to add a lenses-like function to Phobos:
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/dqvaohhgthbsygoctwmh@forum.dlang.org

Here I have suggested a little refinement for D purity:
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/hqtgzpnfbpbvdiriogin@forum.dlang.org

Here I have underlined a little design problem with opCast(bool):
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/eicpsjarvxvahknluqwu@forum.dlang.org

In the middle of this long thread I have exchanged several
messages with Walter:
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/k7afq6$2832$1@digitalmars.com?page=10

where I have suggested to disallow:

void main() {
     auto data = [0, 1, 2, 3];
     foreach (x; data)
         x++;
}

And replace it with this:

void main() {
     auto data = [0, 1, 2, 3];
     foreach (@copy x; data)
         writeln(++x);
}

You will find many more details in the thread, especially in this
post of mine where I have tried to explain the situation as much
clearly as possible:
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/k7afq6$2832$1@digitalmars.com?page=12#post-hqdihcnzzgnlfvznhqbc:40forum.dlang.org

Bye,
bearophile