D wiki

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Tue Nov 13 10:29:21 PST 2012

On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 17:16:30 +0100
Andrej Mitrovic <andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/13/12, Thomas Koch <thomas at koch.ro> wrote:
> > Now we need a decision on this issue
>
> I think we need a proper discussion and a vote, not a decision yet. We
> should try and evaluate the wikis that are out there before settling
> for github right away. For one thing http://prowiki.org is pretty
> fast, whereas GitHub seems to be hosted in the States and is slower to
> access in Europe (it sure is slower to access for me compared to more
> popular websites, but that might not be true for others of course..).

GitHub is just slow, period (I'm in the states). I don't think they care
about speed, only being Web 2.0 (even forward/back/bookmarking is
broken half the time, fuck I hate Web 2.0).

> And I think searchability is really important (prowiki sometimes sucks
> at this, but github is worse). The biggest problem I see with prowiki
> is the spamming issue.
>
> Can gollum make nice colorized tables like this?
> http://prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?GuiLibraries Note also how the text
> reflows when you resize the window, I never see that happening with
> github wikis, they seem to be fixed in size.
>
> It's too bad ProWiki is in Perl, if it was written in D we could
> contribute to it and modify it to our own needs.

What about pmwiki? It's fast, supports tables, has a sane layout that
actually reflows like a proper page should, and in my limited experience
( http://semitwist.com/goldwiki ) spamming doesn't seem to be a big
problem once you've enabled the auto-updated blacklists and a basic
password.