I'm back

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Nov 13 11:13:29 PST 2012

On Tuesday, November 13, 2012 09:45:17 H. S. Teoh wrote:
> Unfortunately, using ranges in their most general sense
> is looking like a pipe dream to me right now, and I'm ready to just move
> on.

The reality of the matter is that there are limits to any abstraction. In
order to make it take more use cases and situations into account, it must
become increasingly complicated, and eventually the abstraction becomes
complicated enough that it's hard to use for even basic cases. So, trying to
make an abstraction work for everything comes at a definite cost. Rather, it
should probably try and strike a good balance. It needs to be powerful enough
to handle the majority of cases but still be simple enough to use in the
average case. And ranges currently risk being too complicated to use in the
average case without screwing them up somehow.

- Jonathan M Davis