D wiki

kraybourne stdin at kraybourne.com
Tue Nov 13 16:02:40 PST 2012

On 11/13/12 20:28 , David Nadlinger wrote:
> The MediaWiki extension used by Wikipedia for syntax highlighting [1]
> also supports D.
>
> David
>

> [1] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SyntaxHighlight_GeSHi

Good stuff!

I hope we go for something feature-rich and capable like MediaWiki. I've
just browsed the Extensions library and here are some other interesting
extensions:

- Bugzilla integration. Have a handy summary page showing Regressions,
Blockers etc.?
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Bugzilla_Reports

- Link to Amazon books by ISBN. Easily link to books and also have
partner links.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Amazon-Linker
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:AmazonPartnerLink

- Revision Approval. Allow admins to mark a page rev. as "approved".
Good for DIPs, Tutorials, Articles etc.?
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Approved_Revs

- Rating. Allow users to rate pages.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ArticleRatings

- MarkAsHelpful. Allows a user to mark a resource as helpful.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:MarkAsHelpful

- PDF Book. Gathers all pages in a category and renders them into a
downloadable PDF. Imagine having all those D articles in a handy PDF.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Book

- Bucket voting. Allows a voting system where the user can distribute an
allocated number of votes freely amongst a set of candidates.
Bureaucracy galore.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:BucketVoting

- Countdown. Shows JavaScript countdown to some date. DConf teaser etc.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Countdown

- Discussion. Allows to post comments on any page. Supports hierarchical
structure of messages.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Discussion

- DoxyWiki. Integrates doxygen into MediaWiki.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:DoxyWiki

- EmailToWiki. Allows emails and their attachments to be sent to a wiki
as articles and uploaded files.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:EmailToWiki

- EmbedVideo. For showing those D talks right in the wiki.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:EmbedVideo

- Freenode IRC Chat. We already have a chat channel on Freenode. Users
who just want to check it out can do so right in the wiki.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Freenode_Chat

- GitHub. Allows adding github gists into your articles easily. Perhaps
a D Cookbook backed by github?
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:GitHub

- Graph. Takes a textual graph description between <graph> </graph> tags
and turns it into a pretty flowchart diagram. For finally explaining
those ranges to mere mortals ; )
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Graph

- Math Formulas. We could finally formally show that ranges are insane
too : P
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Math

- MarkdownSyntax
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:MarkdownSyntax

- Progress. Easy way to see the progress of several tasks.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Progress

- ShareThis. Provides links to popular social bookmarking and news sources.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ShareThis

- Terminology. Enable a Glossary or define Terminology within MediaWiki
using tooltips. Imagine a beginner reading "..and this is very useful in
CTFE and UFCS, but not with UDAs."
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Terminology

- TwitterFeed. Adds <twitterfeed> tag for displaying tweets.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:TwitterFeed

- UML. Renders a UML model from text using MetaUML. A bit 2003 perhaps,
but yeah.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:UML

- UsenetSyntax. Allows simple Usenet highlighting such as *bold*,
/italic/ and _underline_.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:UsenetSyntax

- WhosOnline. Andrei and Walter can indulge in voyeurism.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:WhosOnline

I also saw loads of spam-filters.

Full list at:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension_Matrix/AllExtensions

***

In my view, running a community should not be about what is the most
convenient for a handful of authors, but what allows us to build the
most useful and compelling community wiki. The wiki should not be a
"handy notepad" easily accessible from the command-line, but a rich
online information portal. Being able to present categorized and
cross-linked information like upcoming events, latest Bugzilla bugs,
DIPs with a threaded comment system, categories, table of contents,
downloadable PDFs, approved tutorials, attached files, graphs, RSS-feeds
etc., is very useful, if not now, then at least possibly at some point
in time.

Heck, MediaWiki is rich enough that most of the dlang.org website could
be run inside it. (Which is actually not an entirely bad idea imho. But
I digress.)

MediaWiki (or something similar) for the win!

kind regards
/kraybourne

PS. Took a while to go through the Extensions. Re-checked the newsgroups
now. Perhaps I'm already preaching to the choir at this point. Sorry for
the noise in that case.