[RFC] A huge problem with Github diff

Denis Shelomovskij verylonglogin.reg at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 07:27:46 PST 2012

Current Github diff is very primitive and is almost like unified diff
format which isn't for humans at all. This complicates and slows down
code revision simultaneously reducing its quality.

Something must be done about it to stop wasting people time without any
real reason.

Possible solutions:

* Instruct reviewers to install SmartGit, KDiff3 or something with human
readable diff and fetch from repos of pull request senders.
     - Will spend reviewers time.
     - Will not auto-update on pull update.

* Instruct pull senders to also create a pull on bitbucket.org which has
diff for human beings and push both simultaneously.
     - Will spend pull senders time but not significantly.
     + Will allow code line-comments on bitbucket.org's better diff.

* Move to bitbucket.org
     + Good diff
     - Need to instruct everybody about move
     - Possible lack of some futures (only possible, I don't know any)

* Write browser plug-in to fix Github diff
     - Somebody has to do it.
     - Some browser will not support such plug-in anyway.

* Write stand-alone application to work with Github
     - Somebody has to spend a lot of time for it.

* Write an angry letter to Github support (signed "frustrated D community" )
     + The easiest way.
     - The letter can be ignored.

P.S.
Looks like Github's owners doesn't care at all about current users, only
abut needless features and GUI glance to involve new ones because
otherwise I have no explanation of this sad situation.

--
Денис В. Шеломовский
Denis V. Shelomovskij