[RFC] A huge problem with Github diff

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Wed Nov 14 10:42:12 PST 2012

On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 19:20:26 +0100
Andrej Mitrovic <andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/14/12, Nick Sabalausky <SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com>
> wrote:
> > Personally, I always have my Tortoise* tools set up to use Beyond
> > Compare.
>
> Beyond Compare for the win.
>
> I agree GitHub's diff isn't that good. But even BitBucket has fallen
> into the frenzy of adding special effects. The side-by-side option on
> BitBucket animates a new window into view, fades out the rest of the
> screen to black, and gives you the diff without any syntax
> highlighting (only the diffed characters are in color). And then you
> press escape and wait 2 seconds for the glorious fade-out effect. It's
> like I'm in Minority Report.

Ugh, oh that's right...I forgot, bitbucket forced an updated recently
that screwed up pretty much the whole site. (I've been wrapped up in
my non-OSS work projects lately so haven't been using much of github or
bitbucket.)

This is why we need proper *real* software for these things instead of
all this "web app" bullshit. That way nobody can force breakages and
other dumb anti-features on everyone.