[RFC] A huge problem with Github diff

Alex Rønne Petersen alex at lycus.org
Wed Nov 14 11:09:04 PST 2012

On 14-11-2012 16:27, Denis Shelomovskij wrote:
> Current Github diff is very primitive and is almost like unified diff
> format which isn't for humans at all. This complicates and slows down
> code revision simultaneously reducing its quality.
>
> Something must be done about it to stop wasting people time without any
> real reason.
>

> Possible solutions:
>
> * Instruct reviewers to install SmartGit, KDiff3 or something with human
> readable diff and fetch from repos of pull request senders.
>      - Will spend reviewers time.
>      - Will not auto-update on pull update.
>
> * Instruct pull senders to also create a pull on bitbucket.org which has
> diff for human beings and push both simultaneously.
>      - Will spend pull senders time but not significantly.
>      + Will allow code line-comments on bitbucket.org's better diff.
>
> * Move to bitbucket.org
>      + Good diff
>      - Need to instruct everybody about move
>      - Possible lack of some futures (only possible, I don't know any)
>
> * Write browser plug-in to fix Github diff
>      - Somebody has to do it.
>      - Some browser will not support such plug-in anyway.
>
> * Write stand-alone application to work with Github
>      - Somebody has to spend a lot of time for it.
>
> * Write an angry letter to Github support (signed "frustrated D
> community" )
>      + The easiest way.
>      - The letter can be ignored.
>

> P.S.
> Looks like Github's owners doesn't care at all about current users, only
> abut needless features and GUI glance to involve new ones because
> otherwise I have no explanation of this sad situation.

Or we could switch to Phabricator for our entire review process which
has an absolutely awesome side-by-side diff and is generally a fantastic
tool for distributed-style software projects.

See my email to dmd-internals:
http://lists.puremagic.com/pipermail/dmd-internals/2012-October/004900.html

--
Alex Rønne Petersen