I'm back

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Nov 14 11:11:45 PST 2012

On Wednesday, November 14, 2012 07:29:34 H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 12:51:45AM +0100, deadalnix wrote:
> > >
> > >The reality of the matter is that there are limits to any
> > >abstraction. In order to make it take more use cases and situations
> > >into account, it must become increasingly complicated, and eventually
> > >the abstraction becomes complicated enough that it's hard to use for
> > >even basic cases.
>
> In that case, I argue that the abstraction is a leaky one, and needs to
> be improved/replaced.

Most (all?) abstractions are leaky on some level. But the real problem is simply
that to make it so that you can do absolutely everything with complete control,
it becomes too complicated to be useable in the normal case. It's pretty much
inevitable that you have to cut off some use cases or it's going to be too
complicated. The trick is figuring out how to make it work with as many use
cases as reasonably possible and still be quite useable in the average case,
and that's not necessarily an easy balance to strike.

- Jonathan M Davis