D wiki

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Wed Nov 14 23:33:30 PST 2012

On Tuesday, 13 November 2012 at 21:45:50 UTC, Brad Roberts wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2012, Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> On 11/13/2012 11:26 AM, David Nadlinger wrote:
>> > The only question raised by my suggestion is hosting. I
>> > don't know what
>> > infrastructure dlang.org is hosted on right now, and if
>> > running a MediaWiki
>> > instance on it would be possible. Given the moderate amounts
>> > of traffic to
>> > expect, I don't think this should be an insurmountable
>> > problem, though ?
>> > heck,
>> > if it wouldn't occasionally be unstable, I would even offer
>> > my own VPS (1 GB
>> > RAM, reasonably fast CPU/disk).
>>
>> Brad Roberts is experienced at hosting mediawiki.
>
> Minimally.  I'm not prepared to host one for a wide audience
> where I need
> to be prepared to deal with the internet masses.

I host a number of MediaWikis and have some experience running
and maintaining them. The biggest one is http://worms2d.info/. I
consider spam a solved problem, on that wiki at least.

I'd love to look into writing a wiki syntax converter to move all
the content from ProWiki to a new MediaWiki instance (and a bot
to replace the ProWiki pages with links to the new pages), but
unfortunately I don't have the time to spare for such an
endeavour at the moment. But if the D community is interested in
just a MediaWiki setup on the same server as the D forum (with me
taking care of maintenance), I could look into that.