Binary compatibility on Linux

Thomas Koch thomas at koch.ro
Thu Nov 15 08:52:08 PST 2012

Russel Winder wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-11-15 at 10:35 +0100, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> […]
>> > [2] wiki.debian.org/UpstreamGuide
>>
>> I've read that page and from my understanding they prefer to use "make":
>>
>> "Please don't use SCons"
>> "Using waf as build system is discouraged"
>
> Comments made by people who are steeped in Autoconf/Automake and haven't
> actually used more modern systems such as SCons or Waf.
>
> The comments on the website are almost, but not quite, totally wrong on
> all important points.
The "website" is a wiki site edited by many people over a longer time
period. If you found points you disagree with I'd love to see a comment
added.

I for example don't know either SCons or Waf. Maybe the information in our
UpstreamGuide is not up to date anymore.

Have you found more issues with the text? It would be interesting for us to
listen to the opinions of non-debian members.

Regards, Thomas Koch