A simple question

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips+D at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 20:07:01 PST 2012

On Friday, 16 November 2012 at 00:55:36 UTC, Stugol wrote:
> On Friday, 16 November 2012 at 00:20:00 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe
> wrote:
>> On Friday, 16 November 2012 at 00:11:19 UTC, Stugol wrote:
>>> As to the module bug, I refer you to this error I just
>>> received after trying to use D again after a long absence:
>>>
>>> "Error 42: Symbol Undefined
>>> _D8infinity8standard3api7windows12__ModuleInfoZ	d:\Documents\Programming\WindowsApp1\WindowsApp1\"
>>
>> That means the your custom module wasn't given on the final
>> command line.
>
> I'm using VisualD. I don't have a final command line.

So I'm going to have to claim this isn't a bug. And I know very
little about how to address this issue with VisualD. For this
reason I can't just give you an answer and instead I'll have to
explain what you are being told so that you can find the missing
piece. And as I don't know your experience it may sound as though
I'm talking down to you.

While this may seem a nitpick it is an important distinction.
This is not a compiler error, it is from the linker. This means
your program has has compiled successfully.

The role of the linker is to find the machine code that can
execute function calls you have made.

 From your link I see that your are using DFL, This is generally
built into a library and then the linker is told to grab it. And
I believe you'll need to tell it to build a windows executable:
/exet:nt/su:windows:4.0

http://wiki.dprogramming.com/Dfl/SetupInstructions

Onto the optional module statement. It is optional, but the name
is derived from the directory and file structure at the place of
compilation. So if VisualD does some incremental compilation from
within a folder then the module will not be named what you are
looking it up as. If this is the case then maybe the VisualD
project has a bug here. I'm more incline to believe that you've
attempted a combination of parts and just don't know how they fit
together.

The only way to improve on this situation is to write a tutorial
on how to fit x, y and z together and make a whole. Generally
this would come from the one trying to fit these pieces together
as everyone has their own desired combinations. You may convince
someone to give it a try, but you'll make it much more likely
with a reduced case that demonstrates the problem, Run is not an
entry into a program. I have had my share of difficult/impossible
reductions, but I can't imagine you're very far with having run
into this problem.