Should core.sync.mutex.Mutex, core.sync.condition.Condition, etc. have all their methods be shared?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Nov 17 20:46:29 PST 2012

I don't know if we can answer this for sure at the moment given the ongoing
discussion on shared, but looking at core.sync, it occurred to me that there's
a major problem with the classes in there. None of the work with shared. And
unless I'm missing something here, I don't see how many of them are even
useful as anything other than shared. After all, what good is a mutex which is
thread-local? But none of the methods on Mutex or its friends are shared.

So, the question is should the all have their methods shared? And if they
should, is there any reason to have non-shared overloads for them? What good
are they as anything other than shared? How is anyone using them right now?

- Jonathan M Davis