Should core.sync.mutex.Mutex, core.sync.condition.Condition, etc. have all their methods be shared?

Alex Rønne Petersen alex at lycus.org
Sat Nov 17 23:13:19 PST 2012

On 18-11-2012 05:58, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Sunday, November 18, 2012 05:51:00 Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
>> On 18-11-2012 05:46, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>>> I don't know if we can answer this for sure at the moment given the
>>> ongoing
>>> discussion on shared, but looking at core.sync, it occurred to me that
>>> there's a major problem with the classes in there. None of the work with
>>> shared. And unless I'm missing something here, I don't see how many of
>>> them are even useful as anything other than shared. After all, what good
>>> is a mutex which is thread-local? But none of the methods on Mutex or its
>>> friends are shared.
>>>
>>> So, the question is should the all have their methods shared? And if they
>>> should, is there any reason to have non-shared overloads for them? What
>>> good are they as anything other than shared? How is anyone using them
>>> right now?
>>>
>>> - Jonathan M Davis
>>
>> Not at this point in time. It would break a ridiculous amount of code if
>> we did this, given the current extremely annoying nature of shared.
>>
>> Most D code I have seen in the wild just shares mutexes, conditions, etc
>> with __gshared or some other mechanism anyway, so I don't think there's
>> anything to gain. Like, what would shared actually buy you here?
>
> __gshared is a good reason for leaving non-shared overloads, but isn't code
> really supposed to be using shared and not __gshared unless it's specifically
> extern(C)? That being the case, I'd expect shared to be the correct thing to
> use with mutexes normally, and right now, that won't work without a ton of
> casting or adding shared overloads.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

I don't know what anything that has to do with shared is supposed or not
supposed to do. It is not clear, even to the primary language designers,
what shared actually is, so I really can't say anything to this...

All I can say is, let's wait with this until we know what shared is
going to actually do. We don't want to do something we'll regret later.

--
Alex Rønne Petersen
alex at lycus.org
http://lycus.org