half datatype?

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 16:23:45 PST 2012

On 18 November 2012 20:57, Artur Skawina <art.08.09 at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >     >     But of course this won't work right now, cause that kind of
> type attributes
> >     >     aren't supported yet. 'pragma' can't be used on types either
> (otherwise
> >     >     something like "alias half = pragma(attribute, mode("HF"))
> float;" could be
> >     >     made to work).
> >     >
> >     >     And - yes - the /proper/ way would be eg
> >     >
> >     >        alias half = @core[size=2] float;
> >     >              // or '@core.size(2)' or any other syntax.
> >     >
> >     >     For now, a struct + alias-this-getter might be enough, for a
> s/w implementation.
> >     >
> >     >
> >     > Yes, that's what I and everyone else does, but that's not the
> point of the topic...
> >     > I think it's a fundamental datatype, and it deserves the same
> casting/type conversion/type safety rules as ints and floats, and it would
> also be useful to map it to hardware (which GDC can easily do).
> >
> >     All of the 'half' definitions above would give you a 'fundamental'
> datatype --
> >     -- there is no reason to make it a /language/-defined type. The work
> required
> >     to implement things like implicit conversions can be done more
> generically;
> >     right now the problem is the lack of a way to define such types.
> >
> >        alias fp24 = @core[exp=7, mant=16] float; // It's only a matter
> of time until
> >                                                  // someone asks for
> it&co...
> >
> >     Also, *every* user- (or in this case more likely lib-) defined data
> type deserves
> >     the same control over casting and conversions as built-in types. No,
> D doesn't
> >     have that and yes - it is a problem.
> >
> >     I actually think these types /should/ be done as structs, but
> >     a) it isn't currently possible (also for reasons other than the
> above mentioned ones)
> >     and
> >     b) such aliases would /still/ be useful for mapping to "magic"
> compiler-supported
> >        h/w types.
> >

> > I don't necessarily disagree, but you can take that logic and run with
> it as far as you like.
> > long can easily be implemented as a struct with 2 ints, why bother with
> a builtin type for that? Any answer or counter argument you can possibly
> give me applies equally to half.
>
>    alias long = @core[size(int.sizeof*2)] int;
>
> I'm saying that there's no point in defining '__fp16' when '@core[size(2)]
> float'
> will also do the job. Just as "string" is not a built-in type in D.
> Now, this can't be done today, so until it /is/ possible, the struct
> solution
> is an option. No, it isn't perfect. But is it unusable? (honest question)

I've already agreed that existing solutions (via structs) are usable, but
that's not the point.
They feel artificial. They're just not orthogonal with existing primitive
types, this causes template problems.

Would exposing the raw __fp16 type in GDC really be a better long-term
> solution?

No, exposing a GDC type is not acceptable. I'll only use it if it's defined
by the front end, for portability.
Mapping GDC types to a type defined by the front end is another question
though, since the front end will define the rules in that case.

[Of course that 'long' D definition is not a good one, but that's another
> topic]
>
> > D needs quite a few tweaks to be able to create a user defined type that
> is capable of performing like a builtin type. The main limiters are custom
> implicit conversion, and literal syntax definition,
>
> I know, and I'm not sure I'd use the words 'a few tweaks". :)
>
> > but it also seems really nasty to hook a library, suppress it, and alias
> it to a hardware type in the case of GDC for instance. Who's to say the GDC
> type behaves in exactly the same way as those defined by the D front end?
>
> The types MUST be compatible - this is also true for any "built-in" type.
> Any operation that isn't portable, compiler- or h/w-wise, must be either
> disallowed, emulated or specced as undefined behavior. Which is actually
> part of the reason why I'd like it wrapped in a struct - that way the
> compiler
> doesn't have to handle all the special cases and the *user* can choose
> between
> "raw" (hw-supported) versions and more generic ones that may fallback to
> s/w
> on platforms that require that.

How would the user 'choose' a hw-supported version under your vision? What
would such code look like?

> Point is, this type should behave in EXACTLY the same way as expected
> when dealing with builtin float types, it's not just some user type, it's
> an established, industry-recognised precision of float. In reality it's
> probably significantly easier to define it wherever the others are defined
> rather than in a new library all on its own.
> > I'd also argue that 'half' is far more valuable to modern computing than
> 'real'.
> >
> > Anyway, the point is, we all already use libraries for half, offering
> library solutions misses the point of the topic.
> > The question I raised is: SHOULD half be a builtin type?
>
> Well, no - it shouldn't. For a simple reason - it's not universally
> available.

Neither is real, or long. Should they be removed? Reverted to libraries?
(serious question. though obviously the language isn't capable of producing
a seamless library implementation of a primitive type atm)

And the people using it won't usually be ok with pure s/w emulation.

Actually, they probably will. People using it will need to use it
regardless of how it's implemented. Hardware support it great when
available, but realistically, it's used when processing data for execution
on another processor that does support it in hardware (typically a GPU).
Use of fp16 is probably not optional; it doubles your bandwidth wherever
the loss of precision is acceptable.

But, yes - it should be accessible on platforms that do support it.