Bulding latest DMD and associated projects from github master

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Nov 18 17:41:21 PST 2012

On Monday, November 19, 2012 02:17:54 Rob T wrote:
> On Monday, 19 November 2012 at 01:06:25 UTC, Alex Rønne Petersen
>
> wrote:
> > It's a good idea to append "DMD=../dmd/src/dmd" to the druntime
> > and phobos make commands.
>
> OK but the "why" is much more important than the "how", so can
> you please explain to me why this is a good idea?

So that it uses the dmd that you just built instead of the one in your path.
If you have separately instealled dmd, then it's to build using the wrong dmd
unless you explicitly tell it which one use. On my system, dmd is symlinked to
the one that I built, so the only time that I have to provide DMD= is when
running dmd's test suite (since it requires it for some reason), but I don't
run that very often. If you're outright installing it somewhere though, then
you'll need DMD=path.

- Jonathan M Davis