The annoying D build system

Andrej Mitrovic andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 02:34:41 PST 2012

On 11/19/12, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> wrote:
> Is it just me that thinks the build system of D (DMD, Phobos, druntime,
> and so on) is really annoying. I'm mostly thinking of the directory
> structure that the makefiles expect.

Well on win32 I have two directories on my drive, "dmd" and "dmd-git".
"dmd" is an official release, while "dmd-git" is git-head. The dir
structure is:

dmd-git\dmd2\src\dmd  <- git-head
dmd-git\dmd2\src\druntime <- git-head
dmd-git\dmd2\src\phobos <- git-head
dmd-git\dmd2\windows\  ... <- binaries, etc

"dmd-git" is in the PATH env variable before "dmd" so it always
overrides it. When I want to switch between using git-head and an
official release I append an underscore to "dmd-git" (a shortcut key
can do the trick using autohotkey).

It's the simplest system I could think of..